Monday, April 19, 2010

Birthday...


 
             So, I had a birthday.. Yesterday I turned 33 years old.  The last ten years seem to have been such a blur with my time in the Army…  especially the past 6 years with the time away.  My birthday came at the end of a long week.  I took one of my Master’s classes last week on US Foreign Policy between WWI and WWII.  It was a very interesting course. When I signed up for the class, I didn’t really think it was going to be so great, but I have been really surprised and pleased with all of the courses I have taken so far through OU.  So, after a long week of history with a lot of reading, Traci surprised me with a Party on Sunday afternoon.
                I was on my way home after taking my final exam on Sunday morning when I called Traci to see if she would mind if I would pick up some burgers and rolls to have a little cookout at the house in the afternoon, then head to the beach.  She said that would be a great idea, but little did I know that she had already invited about 100 people to the house to do just the same thing.  I got to the house and a few friends were there after church getting ready to cook out.  As I unloaded the truck and went inside, more and more families showed up at the house… and Traci had me..  It was a really nice day together.  The weather has been great lately here. It was in the lower 80’s yesterday as we cooked out and played in the backyard with the kids.  It was really a nice time together with everyone.  It’s crazy I guess… a real change in thinking as I get older I guess…  I don’t think I would have been as pleased or had as nice of a time if I had a similar party at 23, as I did at 33…  It was just so nice being outside with friends and watching all of our kids play… no need for anything too crazy… but wow… it was a really nice time.  Traci really surprised me.  
                A friend of ours at church was talking to me as I was realizing how many people were showing up at the house.  He said that Traci had invited almost the whole church to the house when he asked Traci if I really liked large crowds of people.  He said that Traci told him, “Well, no, but he bought me a mill and a super mixer for bread making for my birthday, and I don’t really enjoy that; so, this is payback.”  Ha..  she’s a trip…  It was a really nice day though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment